Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The Fall...

I have been working my way through Searching for God Knows What and truly believe it is my favorite Donald Miller book.  I used to think I loved Blue Like Jazz more, but I think thats just because it was my first Donald experience.  I know its not a coincidence, but it is amazing how my life is paralleling aspects of this book.  The past week I have been really trying to guard my thoughts and see people that normally bother me, in a new light.  I can be a very critical person (of myself and others) and some times this can be a very constructive thing, but often it is destructive.  And I think I finally understand what is at the root of it...

"The thing that defines human personalities is that they are constantly comparing themselves to one another" - Donald Miller

All my life, I have compared myself to someone whom I admire or look up to.  At first glance, this seems like a healthy habit and should fuel honorable actions and goals to work towards.  It is no secret that this act of comparing ones self to another drives American culture.  It is the source of social development, emotional health and unfortunately responsible for some of life's greatest tragedies.

And it is a direct result of the fall.

We are imperfect people living in a completely imperfect world.  It is strange how often I forget about that.  As a direct result of the fall, we are wired so that something outside of ourselves needs to tell us who we are.  It used to be that God could provide this security and provision, but the fall changed everything.  I have more thoughts on all of this, but they will have to wait for another day.

To be continued...

Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...