Thursday, July 19, 2012

#53- City State + Gravy!

I have completed my quest to eat breakfast at 5 new locations in Portland! I decided (while at this last breakfast location) that eating breakfast on the weekends in Portland is one of my favorite things to do! There are so many amazing brunch spots in Portland and I feel like I have just scratched the surface!

City State

Two weekends ago, I met my friend Jenn at City State for brunch.  We originally planned on going to Screen Door, but it was a few hour wait to get in so we opted for the less busy, but equally as delightful local of City State!

City State is nestled in between Burnside and Gilson Streets in the Laurelhurst neighborhood.  I loved that they had outdoor seating and unlimited refills of coffee :)  I enjoyed the Pepper Bacon scramble and honestly was full until what would have been past dinner time! The scramble had pepper bacon, tomato, spinach and brie cheese and came with the most amazing biscuit! I would highly recommend this meal to anyone who wants a hint of meat, but enjoys the flavors of brie and spinach- as they were very tasty.

The second restaurant that I ate brunch at this past week was called Gravy and is located in North Portland on Mississippi Street. I met my old roommate Tia for brunch on Tuesday morning, which gave us the opportunity to chat and catch-up on the past six+ months of our lives.  Tia is finishing her Tesol Masters program and was teaching English in Laos. Gravy was a perfect location for our meet up and despite the massive line waiting outside (on a Tuesday at 11am), we were seated within 5 minutes at the bar within the restaurant.  I did not get to snap any photos before I devoured my food, but I ordered eggs over easy, bacon and a biscuit (see a theme). I saw the french toast, but was going on a bike ride later in the day with Fiona, so I wanted to eat something more substantial.  But, next time I go, I will definitely get the french toast!

Both locations had excellent service and were quick and attentive (and affordable).  I am bit of a coffee snob, so it was refreshing that both places served an excellent cup of joe! Highly recommend both locations and I am excited to continue enjoying brunch on the weekends in Portland (especially with outdoor seating options)!





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for trying new places. I love that this was a goal of yours! :)

Happy Thursday!

xox,
Meghan

Jyndia said...

I love brunch in Portland! Best opportunity to taste some of the best foods! You're fro,m the NW right?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...