Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Wellness Wednesday #3: forming habits

Last week, I talked about the woes of how I was not able to get to the gym and was not enough drinking water... oh yea, and trying to eat less pizza.  Well, I am happy to report that this week I have not had any pizza!!!  And, I have drank more water, though not consistently.  I just transitioned into a new setting for my last eight weeks of my internship and I am working to make a conscious decision to take my water bottle around with me while I treat patients.  The last couple of weeks, I have been experiencing headaches every evening and I am sure they are linked to being dehydrated, so this whole drinking water thing is quite important.

And the working out bit. I went to the gym three times this week and all three were a struggle.  I was lucky enough to link up with Jenn for two of those workouts which helped with the motivation a lot.  I found I just need to get my butt into the gym and then I do fine.  But at the end of a 10 hour day of work (not to mention the commute time on either side), the last thing I want to do is head to the gym.  I saw one of the PTs working out on the therapy equipment yesterday at lunch, so I am going to ask my CI if I can do that as well. If I could get 30 mins of cardio in three times a week during lunch, that would make going to the gym less of a headache.

This week, my goal is to start forming healthy habits.  Little things that make a big difference.  I want to get to the gym four times and workout at least once during lunch at work.  I also want to incorporate an upper extremity weight-lifting program and abdominal program into my workouts. I am so used to doing 45-60 minutes of cardio, but I am noticing other parts of my body need some attention as well.

I also notice that I have a mind block that the only time I am working out is when I am at the gym.  There is no reason I cannot do abs workouts at home on my yoga mat every night before I go to bed and I am perfectly able to get off the light-rail a few stops before mine and walk.  I know this isnt rocket science, but I am finding if I can squeeze more into my daily life, there is less pressure to get to the gym. The gym can be anywhere!!!

Here is a little ab workout calendar I found on pinterest that I am going to start this week!  Heres to creating new habits!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...