Monday, March 5, 2012

pen + paper

In the age of iPads, computers, kindles, etc, there is a tendency to get caught up in the immediacy of the moment.  If I want to read a book right now, I can download it to my iPhone.  If I want to write something out, I can type it into my computer, its faster after all!  And though having a list function on my phone has helped me be more productive (I lose sticky notes before I am able to check things off my list), I find that I really miss writing things down with  a real pen on real paper.

This past week and weekend were full of moments that needed to be reflected upon.  And when I am on the go, its hard to find a pen and paper that I can jot down my thoughts.  So, typing a note into my phone is better than not writing at all, right?

Tonight I wasnt feeling very well so I took the extra quiet time to spend writing.  I have written 10 pages of thoughts thus far and I still have thoughts that need to be written :)  Initially I sat down at my computer because I knew I had a lot of thoughts and all too often they flee my brain before they can be recorded and hence the use of a much faster keyboard to my fingers that are "out of shape" for such an amount of writing. But as I flip back through my moleskin journal, there is a sense of accomplishment following the 10 pages.  I wrote that.  I spent time actually thinking about my thoughts instead of feverishly writing and recording the first things that came to mind. I felt like I was allowed to truly steep in the material.  Really think about what I think I think, I think (read that slowly and then 10 times fast!).  And when you write, your brain has a chance to slow down and truly process.  And the "process" is what I am after.

I am curious, how many people write or journal on their electronic devices?  Or who find the traditional pen + paper do the trick?

1 comment:

B said...

I don't write on paper never. I guess because I don't like my handwriting? Or I feel like I can't write as fast I can type? But I never thought about the slowing down as giving you time to process!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...