I read people.com every day... and when I can, I pick up copies of it or if I am particularly poor, I read it at Barns and Noble. Today I was doing my daily perusing and the thought crossed my mind of how much time I waste reading about the lives of people I do not even know. What is the obsession of "stalking" celebrities? What is it about knowing intimate details about another person's life that is so fascinating and comforting?
It is somewhat alarming the break down of time spent during my day. Now the majority of it has to do with school in some shape or form, but I feel like lately I have been spending an inordinate amount of time reading articles on news websites, blogs, sports coverage of up coming games, etc. Ironically, there are a million other things I wish I would do instead. The following is a list of things I wished I would incorporate into my daily life:
1. Reading my Bible more consistently
2. Practicing Spanish with Rosetta Stone and speaking in Spanish to friends that can speak back to me
3. Breathing during the "down times"
4. Call friends I havent talked to in a while
5. Slow down and take my time in the morning- instead of running around with my head cut off
So, short list, but one I will work on integrating into my daily life. I still dont fully know the answers to the questions above about our obsession of knowing the business of people we have never met, but what I do know is, we are all desperate to be known and maybe, just maybe, reading these intimate details of someone else's life, allows us to feel more known.
Until tomorrow....
No comments:
Post a Comment