Thursday, September 27, 2012

Prayer

Next week my church is doing a city wide prayer and fasting event.  This event has been created to unite 30+ churches around the city in prayer for one of the most unchurched cities in the Nation.  This event will not only provide opportunities for people to come together in prayer, but it will also challenge individuals to assess what prayer means to them personally.

For me, this week will really challenge my perception of prayer; both in its role in my personal relationship with God and also how I view global prayer.  Prayer of the "Church". Prayer of God's people.

There have been times where I have landed on both ends of the spectrum.  I have identified with the notion that prayer is futile, as God already knows my thoughts and desires.  Why pray when God already knows the plans of this world? I am simply wasting my time. Can I really change God's mind?

And I have viewed prayer as an obligation. A responsibility.  Where I have felt guilty if I dont pray and sometimes, I even felt guilty when I do pray.  I have been that person that starts prayer off, "Hey God, its me Jyndia... forgive me for that one time when I..."  We've all been there.

I am looking forward to this event, but also find myself extremely anxious.  I am anxious because I know in my heart if I embrace this event, God will change me.  And thats exciting, but scary.  I know if I come before God with an authentic heart, he will change me.  He has promised to do as much.  And I believe in his promises!

this video says it all

I am praying that God will change me through prayer... kinda funny, right?! Stay tuned!


1 comment:

ty said...

I was nodding with almost everything you said. I've struggled with the same things in prayer. I think sometimes I get so caught up in not knowing exactly how to eloquently say what I want to say that I jsut don't do it all together. It's a process, I think.

Who knows :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...