Sunday, September 23, 2012

Pumpkin Bread with a Twist!

This weekend was the first weekend of fall (officially, calendar style)!  Its really no secret how much I love fall.  But one of my favorite things about fall is baking delicious fall treats and goodies.  Annnd with the invention of Pinterest, there are so many more delicious treats to be made and of course eaten :) This October, I am going to make it my goal to make one fall treat each week and post a little DIY post on whatever it is I made.

This weekend, I dug out my recipe for Pumpkin Bread (perfected by my grad school roommate Camille and myself) and decided it would be fun to add a cream cheese filling.  So I set out to find a recipe and this is what I came up with!

The finished product was amazing!! I was nervous the cheese filling wouldnt work out because when I mixed it, it was not smooth like the recipe said.  Also, I made mine in one pan (because I only have one pan) and it raised very high! But, it turned out amazing and is very moist!  If you live at altitude, please adjust as needed :) Enjoy!

Pumpkin Bread Batter:

1 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 whole egg
3 egg whites
1 cup granulated sugar
1 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 t ground nutmeg
1 t baking soda
1 t ground cinnamon

Cream Cheese Filling:
8 oz reduced fat cream cheese
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 T whole wheet flour
1 t vanilla extract
2 egg whites



Pumpkin Batter: 
Mix (electric mixer): pumpkin, applesauce, egg, and egg whites until smooth. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. Slowly mix the flour mixture into the pumpkin mixture.

Cream cheese filling: 
Beat cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, egg whites and flour until creamy and smooth.

Grease 2 loaf pans. Divide half of the pumpkin batter between the two pans. 
Pour half of the filling in one pan and the other half in the second pan and smooth with the back of a spoon. Top with the remaining batter.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes. Cool and remove from pans. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.

1 comment:

Janna Renee said...

Pumpkin Bread with cream cheese filling? HELLO!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...