 |
| Commuting in the AM |
For people who do not live in the Pacific Northwest, much of the perception of Portland comes from watching
Portlandia. I have yet to catch an episode, but I have heard it is absolutely spot-on with how it portrays Portland. One thing most people know about Portland is that it is one of the most bikable cities (
Ranked #2 by walkscore). Since moving to the Pearl, I bike to work every day. The reason for this is two fold.
Reason #1- I need to get back in shape and this is an easy way to be active every day
Reason #2- parking at OHSU is impossible
My commute is only 5.5 miles round trip. And it is a lovely ride along the Willamette river with seven bridge sightings along the route. Portland's bridges are one of my favorite things about the city (blog post coming soon) and on most mornings, the sun is brilliantly shining off each of these bridges reflecting their image onto the smooth surface of the river. I join other commuters on their way to work who merge on and off the parkway as if it is its only little interstate.
 |
Bike Valet @ OHSU
|
Biking to work has several advantages. I rarely drive during the week (last time I filled up my gas tank was on July 30th!!), I get in a small workout every day and I dont have to pay to park. Additionally, OHSU is awesome and has a biking incentive program! Meaning, every 30 round trips equals $50 added to my paycheck! And, we have a bike valet service! No kidding! This month, the city of Portland has a "commuting war" to see which business can have the most employees commute to work by bike. Since OHSU is the top employer in the state of Oregon, we are at a severe disadvantage in this challenge because it is based on % of total employees. But it has been fun to see my miles add to the total each day and I have been challenged by a couple of friends who are also taking part in the commute war!
Since moving, I have also been biking to the gym (about 1 mile from my house), biking to the store and around town to friends apartments, church or to sporting events. Though Portland is #2 on the bikeability list, the drivers in this city are not necessarily that kind to bikers. And pedestrians typically fall somewhere in the middle on the kindness scale... depending on the day. I have had a few close calls on my bike, but usually due to people being stupid.
The weather has been perfect in Portland thus far, but in a few weeks when it is raining I might feel differently about my commute. I recently purchased fenders (yet to be installed) and will acquire additional rain gear in the coming weeks. But for now, I am loving my commute!
 |
| OHSU bike program |
 |
| Bike Commuter Challenge |
No comments:
Post a Comment