I just had one of those moments. The kind where you see someone from you past and you are broadsided by the life you could have had, if only... I just got an email update from a friend from long ago. We met, very casually, when I was a freshman in college and because he lived in NE, I only saw him one other time. He liked me in the way every girl wants to be liked. He is a great man full of love to give, I was just not the right girl. And so, he married a girl from his college about a year ago and now they are having a baby. This is all great news because the friendship I now have with him is treasured and genuine. But I couldnt help but have that feeling deep inside me when I read his email- that could have been me.
Now, in all likelihood, a relationship with this young man would not have progressed very far due to distance and very obvious differences in our lifestyles. Nevertheless, it took me by surprise that just a mere series of decisions sent me on a different path- the one I am on today. I think they make movies with plots like this: where the girl moves across the country, comes home to find her high school sweetheart is married, has three kids and a farm.
![]() |
| Spring Break in NYC-2007 |
So back to the life that could have been... I have a very strange mix of emotions tonight. One, I am extremely happy for my friend Tim and his lovely wife as they welcome their child into this world. Two, I am surprised at the big impact those small decisions have had on my life. And three, I am thankful for each and every decision I have made. Some of them have been absolute disasters and I have paid big time for screwing up. But then there are those that have lead me to where I am today... and for that I am thankful :) Thanks to all my friends whom have helped me make those little (and big) life decisions along the way.
Here are some of the more entertaining pictures from that spring break in NYC :)
![]() |
| FDNY station- a little dancing (why yes, we will) |
![]() |
| SoHo with the girls |





2 comments:
You are so right! Those small decisions that ultimately end up bringing us to where we are . . . absolutely crazy. Once again my dear, you are beautiful and you have such a beautiful soul. Keep on keeping on with those decisions of yours and for sharing your reflections I am always thankful.
I love you. You are awesome. I am glad you are my friend. Let's talk soon. I have so much to tell you. I'm sure you have so much to tell me. It has been wayyyy too long.
Post a Comment