Monday, December 13, 2010

Fear

I recently read that the phrase "do not fear" (or some version meaning the same thing) appears 365 times in the Bible.  And yet, there are moments where I find myself completely terrified.  Correction: there are hours, days, weeks, where I find myself scared.  Afraid that something else is going to go wrong with my knee.  Terrified that decisions I have made will destroy what I have worked so hard for.  So my question is, why do we have/experience these feelings of fear?

Even though God tells us over and over again "do not be afraid", I do NOT find that phrase comforting.  And I have been thinking about it all week trying to figure why that phrase does not offer me any comfort, despite it being written over 365 times throughout the Bible.

And what I have come up with is neither philosophical or necessarily theologically based.  It is just thoughts of a girl trying to figure out life.

Faith requires trust. Right?

So, if I trust that God has everything in control and has an ultimate plan (I say ultimate plan, because I am still figuring out exactly what I think about predestination and free will, etc) for my life, then I should trust and have faith that things will work out for good (good, as in sanctification good).  And yet there is still the element of fear...

Ok, so lets take it from another angle... Hope.  To have hope in something, requires elements of trust and faith.  Allow me to explain.  The most glaring situation I am currently facing is the health of my knee.  So, if I am going to have hope that things will work out for good (again, sanctifying good), than I must put that hope in God and in order to do so, there is an element of faith and trust that God will provide me with a sense of hope... or at the very least, peace.

Conclusion... hope, faith, trust and peace are all interrelated and one does not exist without the other.  So, does one experience fear when these three (or four if we add peace) elements do not work cohesively?  Or in moments where my faith is weak, does fear grow stronger?

If anyone has another thoughts or insight to add, please do!  As I am sure I am not the only one who does not understand fear.

1 comment:

Abby said...

I read this bible study once that really helped me to start understanding fear. Check it out and let me know if it helps you! You're on the right track though. And you're amazing for asking these questions in the first place.

http://www.hem-of-his-garment-bible-study.org/fear-Bible.html

Another thing, I could not be a parent and an Army wife without dispelling fear. I would not survive if I let fear get a hold of me. I have to keep my faith, my hope, my trust, and my peace to get through every day. Thank you again for sharing my friend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...