One year ago...
I was 365 days younger. I was naive to the throws of grad school. I was introduced to a brand new city and a brand new life. One year ago, I knew nothing of the world of physical therapy and how it would change my life (ok, maybe slightly dramatic, but also true in many ways).
One year ago, I moved to Denver to embark on a new phase in my life and it has been one hell of a year. This year...
*I learned how to be comfortable in a completely new environment (despite the fact I have spent most of my life in a classroom, the intensity of grad school is hard to anticipate).
*I learned how to let go of my fears, less they consume me.
*I learned how to adjust to living in a desert, completely devoid of water (unless you want to swim in a reservoir- aka your future drinking water).
*I became part of a team (batman and robin, if you will :).
*I spent countless afternoons/evenings at Coors Field, cheering on the Rockies (and failed my Movement Science midterm as a result of going to both play-off games).
*I met some of the most genuine people who will no doubt be life long friends and enjoyed several Old C's beer tours and countless Happy Hours as we relieved some of the stress of our new life (as well as put away an entire cooler of jello-shots, watched Karen down a 40 of Coors Light, always assume Woytek will bring the PBR and hosted several house parties at 1726 Cathay Ct).
But what I have found is quite simple: I am still the same person in so many ways.
*I still laugh until I cry at the dumbest things (most often, I will throw a leg kick in as well).
*I still value time spent with a good friend (and love it even more if a frappe or M&Ms and peanut butter can be shared).
*I still miss living in Oregon
*I still crave my alone time; even if I try to pretend I do not need it.
*I still love to write (and prefer to express my thoughts by using erroneous grammar and multiple ellipses).
*I still love coffee every morning (and love a mid-afternoon latte even more).
*I still love drinking wine (and love it even more if it can be enjoyed while laying on the floor reading a Cosmo with my girls).
*I still believe the rain quiets my soul (and on those few rainy days in Denver, I believe my soul is replenished).
*I still love to buy books (reading those books is often another story).
It has been a good year... Another year of figuring out who I am and what I want in life. I think this year has helped me appreciate the little things in life a little more and enjoy those moments of silence when they come. A week from today I start classes as a "2nd year" and though the thought of that terrifies me, it is also much deserved. Cheers to another year of this crazy journey!

No comments:
Post a Comment