Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Leaving New York is never easy...

This is a great city and one that has truly stolen my heart since I first lived there in 2005. 
Even though there are so many things that are “so New York” or “only found in the city”, something was different this time.  It wasn’t the buildings, the people or the weather.  It wasn’t the smell of street meat, the sounds of the subway or the speed of life.  The past few days I have trying to come up with what was different and I think I finally have an idea… the difference is I have changed.

I came to this city with fresh eyes and a kindred spirit.  I came to the city to fill time between graduating from Concordia and entering graduate school.  I came to prove to my family, friends and myself that I could make it in NYC.  I came looking for an adventure and a way to live the American Dream.  I came with the intentions of finding out what I wanted in life and what happened was, I grew up.

Looking back, it is clear that I had a lot of crazy adventures while living in the city with Jen and Haley.  Walking around the city these past few days has brought back a thousand memories of the things we used to do together.  The girls were part of a very important and formative time in my life.  We entertained guests, explored neighborhoods, went to Broadway after Broadway together.  We attended Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade, New Years in Times Square, Christmas Tree Lighting in Rockefeller Center together.  We searched the city for coffee shops to drink a cup a joe on a rainy day together.  We ordered in and ate dinner on our roof while watching planes fly in and out of Newark Airport.  We missed family and friends together, laughed hysterically together, and fought the desire to seek comfort and return home. We grew up together…

I know I am extremely blessed by the places I have lived and the things I have experienced.  I am so lucky to have had the opportunity to live in such a magnificent city.  I am very thankful for all the amazing people I have in my life that supported my decision to move out to NYC with no job, no place to live and not knowing anyone except Jen and Haley.  It was a big risk to move across the country, but I cannot imagine my life without the lessons I learned while living in New York.  Though I am far from being grown up, I realize I have a lifetime to do so!  This is just the beginning of the journey!  
McSorley's!!!  Oldest pub in NYC

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...