Why oh why do I get so sucked into this stupid show?! I love it and hate it all at the same time. Last night, as I was sipping wine, wrapped up in a blanket on my couch with Kristen watching the show, I began wondering why do I love this show so much?
I think there are many reasons why American women (maybe men too, wouldn’t want to leave you out) become obsessed with the Bachelor and Bachelorette. First of all, we get to swoon over gorgeous men that spend most of their time without their shirts on. Second, we get to live vicariously through Ali (this season’s Bachelorette) as she flies all around the world on incredible dates that only exist in our dreams. Lastly, we get to sit back and watch drama unfold that is in no way connected to our own lives and therefore cannot cause personal pain.
Now for the disclaimer! I do not believe this is how love is found, but I think it is an awesome way to meet people and potentially fall in love. I think many aspects of the show are cheesy (Chris Harrison is no doubt one of the cheesiest people I know), utterly predictable (“coming up…”, “this is the final rose”, “are you here for the right reasons”, etc) and not realistic in the slightest (group dates with 8 men, dates that involve helicopters, planes and foreign countries, etc). Yet, the show also acts somewhat like a train wreck in that you cannot stop watching!
Each season I have watched (this is now my 4th!) I vow that I will not subject myself to another season, but somehow I get sucked in. Blame it on being a hopeless romantic, chalk it up to having very little drama in my own life, or maybe it is simply that the show serves as my only real escape from school… Needless to say, I will be spending Monday nights on the couch with my girls watching this crazy show!
No comments:
Post a Comment