Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Things I do NOT regret

Recently I saw a cute post that I had to pilfer :) Check out two other lovely ladies who also posted similar lists here and here! As I get older, there are moments that I look back and wonder where I got the strength to make a particularly hard decision. Or wonder where I got the courage to follow through with what was a seemly crazy idea! This post is all about the things I do NOT regret!

Traveling! 
Spending thousands of dollars over the years to visit people I love in amazing places! The following trips come to mind! Costa Rica to visit my friend Alison, Germany to visit Alex and Britta, traveling the Italian countryside with my mom, traveling to London and Scotland with my high school friends, trips to Amsterdam, Czech Republic, Poland. Traveling to Nicaragua to teach elements of physical therapy to locals. Spending quality time with my friends/family that live State side in cities like: New York, Chicago, DC, Boston, Philly, New Oreleans, Denver, Hawaii, Portland, Minneapolis, Seattle and California. Just to name a few :)

Spending a fortune on books
I love reading. I love the smell of paperback books owned by someone else. I have shelves full of books I have yet to read and ones I have read multiple times. Books to me are an escape from reality and motivate me in unexplainable ways.

Moving to New York City (on a whim)
After graduating college, my friends and I moved to Manhattan after spending Spring Break there and deciding it would be fun to move there.  We moved 3000 miles with only 2 suitcases each, on one-way tickets to a city we knew no one. It was the most trying year of my life, but also the most rewarding. I learned about myself in ways only a drastic move like this could invoke.

Nights spent alone...
...when every fiber of my being wants otherwise. Its no secret that I am an extrovert.  But I need alone time to recharge as well. Even on those nights when something else is so attractive or appealing, I rarely regret choosing to stay home.

Going to Grad School in Denver
I had planned to attend George Washington University for graduate school until I interviewed at University of Colorado. GW was my dream school; the one you apply for knowing you will likely get a beautifully crafted rejection letter from. But I didnt. It was the first school that accepted me and not only was I accepted, but I didnt have to interview because I was in their top 10 choices to attend. Long story short, I turned away from the glitter and glitz of GW for CU in Denver and my life was forever changed. I met some of my best friends and received one of the finest educations in the country.



Dancing the night away
College, post college, grad school and post grad school have all provide copious opportunities for dancing. There is something to be said about 30 second dance it out sessions that completely rejuvenate  your soul. There were many nights that involved dancing that also involved smiling, laughing and maybe a make-out session or two ;)

Drinking one too many...
Not much needed to be said here. But some of my favorite nights have involved an extra shot of whiskey or a bottle too many of wine.  But we'd all be lying if we said this never happened to us or if it was cause for regret! Well, the hangover is arguably regrettable ;)

Spending hundred of $$ to stand next to my best friends on their wedding day!
I have been extremely blessed to be in a few weddings these past few years. Each of them cost money. But the money that is spent is well worth being next to them on one of the biggest days of their lives. I have gotten to be in weddings in Boston, Chicago, Portland, Minneapolis, Seattle, Montana, etc. The memories from those days will forever outlast any amount of money that was spent. I am beyond blessed by my friends.

Moving back to Portland
Portland is a safe city for me. I know people here. I understand this city's MO. But most importantly, I am within close proximity of my family. I live about an hour from my brother, sister-in-law and nephew, 3 hours from my best friend (and countless other grand people in Seattle), live in a city with people I love and attend a church that challenges me and provides an example of authentic living.  I have a job that I love at one of the premiere medical institutions on the West Coast and work with people I enjoy and look forward to seeing daily.







Dancing on poles at fire stations
There was this one time that we stopped by a fire station in NYC and happened to dance on their fire pole. We met some really cool people that day. Met some survivors of Sept 11th, 2001. Spend some quality time laughing and making memories! 

Making friends with Pirates :)
Need we say more!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

haha, this is fantastic!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...