Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Post-op day 14!

I have made it to the two week mark post surgery and its definitely been a rough journey to get here.  The surgery went very well, albeit 3.5 hours longer than anticipated due to the amount of damage to my articulating surfaces of my femur and patella.  I was able to obtain the operative report which absolutely fascinating (for nerds like me) and got some pretty rad photos from when the doctor was implanting the meniscus and cartilage cells.

The days following surgery (for about a week and a half), I struggled to eat food, which made taking medication difficult, which resulted in a few nights of throwing up and countless days of nausea. But, I was able to catch up on hours of sleep (some days sleeping 18 hours a day) which was nice after finals week.

Now the recovery begins! I have a CPM machine (continuous passive movement) that moves my leg in and out of flexion and extension.  The goal is to get to 90degrees of flexion, but right now I am working between 0-45 degrees.  It is good to get it moving again, but boy is it painful! I should be able to begin PT some time the week of the 12th of September which will begin the long road of rehab!

The machine my knee is in up to 4-6 hours a day

I am back in school as of Monday of this week and have been taking it pretty easy.  It is hard to concentrate because of the medications I am on, but it is better to be going to class than sitting at home.  My professors are all very understand and interested in my recovery, so that is helpful and a big relief.  I am planning on blogging more this semester, so heres to a good start!

1 comment:

Rich W. said...

Hang in there. Did it three years ago. My blog is mymeniscustransplant.blogspot if you are interested in my recovery. Rehab like crazy!!! Good luck

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...