![]() |
| Symbol of Hope- 2005 |
Four years later, I moved to New York to spend a semester of my junior year of college at one of our sister schools in Bronxville NY (14 miles outside of the city). I remember sitting in my psychology class and our teacher asked how many students lived within 20 miles of NYC on 9-11-2001. The entire class raised their hands except myself and Raynelle (a friend and fellow student from Portland also spending a semester at Bronxville). Everyone in that class had a story... some losing friends or family members. That next day, Raynelle and I made our way into the city to attend the Remembrance Ceremony at Ground Zero. The train ride into the city was quite. The walk to Times Square- silent. The subway downtown, eerie and emotion-filled. Upon reach Ground Zero, there were police officers on every corner. Every half block there were fire trucks parked, police barricades and thousands of people walking in silence. There were no cars, no taxis honking, no one was talking. New York is not a silent city.
![]() |
| Construction 2007 |
![]() |
| A gift from France that used to stand in the plaza between the towers- now stands in Battery Park |
Then, two years later I moved back to New York, this time living in Manhattan. I made several trips to Ground Zero while I lived there and each time, the rush of emotions resurfaced. I remember taking one my friends who was visiting from Germany to Ground Zero and to watch her reaction to the very noticeable hole in the skyline of Lower Manhattan, made me realize how badly this day affected the world.
This year, for the first time, people gathered amid signs of rebirth rising from the ashes. Next year, on the tenth anniversary, Ground Zero will stand tall and proud resembling a Nation that cannot be defeated. Though I am not one to be overly patriotic, I am proud to be a member of this strong Nation and will always remember the selfless sacrifices of thousands of Americans on this fateful day.
![]() |
| Construction 2005 |


+026.jpg)

No comments:
Post a Comment