Sorry I have been MIA the past few weeks, but summer semester has started and that means life is busier than I would like to admit. Tonight I am taking a break from an assignment that I have been working on for far too long and unfortunately, at this point, it has lost what little excitement it had at the beginning of last week.
Thats the thing about high education... some assignments are just plan ridiculous and pointless which are created for the sole purpose of evaluation.
But, the good news is that I am at this wonderful coffee shop nestled into an equally eclectic neighborhood not far from my house. Though this is only my second time here (shocking, as my best friends in the program frequent it weekly), I find that it is the perfect blend of unique yet simple... The mysterious blue glass bottles by the open garage door of a window are home to sprouts of plants that needed to find their own way in this world. The Christmas lights that surround the counter offer a sense of tranquility before your world is rocked by the irritated barista who has worked 5 too many hours today. The giant wrought iron chairs that bridge the gap between the front and back of the coffee shop summon me to sit in them, though I know, I will get nothing accomplished if I accept the invitation.
Tonight, the windows are all open and the breeze is allowed to run about in circles around the cafe. It is days like this, that Denver seems like an arid desert and nothing can cool the 90 degree dry air. But as the music begins to drown out my thoughts, the cool fresh air finally makes its way to me. Which can only be described as a perfect ending to an impossibly long day.
The tables and chairs here are not traditional nor uniform. Most of the chairs are actually benches that appear to be pews from an old church. The tables are broken slabs that have been shaped by the weakness and impurities of the marble from which they are made. The people of this coffee shop tend to set up camp and stay for days. Its the type of coffee shop that you can either get a lot accomplished, or nothing at all. Today, I fall in the latter group. And I appreciate that this is a space that grants me that freedom... Thanks St. Mark's Coffee House!


1 comment:
oh hey I LOVE this place!!! i was there once and was sad when i forgot the name, so thanks for going there and reminding me through the post!
i love you jyn! and i'm looking forward to catching up sometime when life isn't so so busy for you!
Post a Comment