Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Hole in Our Gospel (Part III)


I am now about halfway through the book The Hole in Our Gospel and it is becoming painstakingly clear to me how easy it is to create a our own version of God that fits perfectly within the walls of our lives.  The book is centered around the idea that people have (figuratively) taken their Bibles and cut out the passages that make them uncomfortable or those that require a sacrifice they are not willing to give. 

I am guilty of doing this.

My walk with Jesus has not always been picture perfect.  In fact, I cringe when I think about some of the conversations I have had with people trying to convince them that “my Jesus” is the only way.  When in fact, “my Jesus” was the one that was most convenient for me.  I am guilty of having some major holes in my own worldview; specifically how I view Jesus being a part of that.

“…and yet, God uses broken and imperfect people to challenge and inspire others.  He utilizes our mistakes and our victories to shine a light on the path, so that others might follow” -Richard Stearns

I know I have done plenty of things that I am not proud of… I know I will continue to make mistakes as I continue to work my way through life.  But if what Rich says is true and God truly does use the broken and imperfect people to inspire others, then I hope that is what my life will be.  I hope that, if nothing else, my life is a representation of an authentic relationship with the God of the Universe.  I hope that I will always question what I believe and allow the gospel to be lived out through my life.  I hope that I refrain from creating “holes” in the gospel because it is more comfortable to do so. 

I wanna do something that matters
Say something different
Something that sets the whole world on it's ear
I wanna do somethin better, with the time I’ve been given
I wanna try to touch a few hearts in this life
and leave nothin less than something that says, “I was here”

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...