![]() |
| Camille- roommate for life |
Hard to put into words all that I am feeling today. Today is the day I graduated from
University of Colorado’s School of Medicine with my clinical doctorate degree
in physical therapy. It’s been a long three years. Most of those times filled will adventure, friendship and
growth. I was stretched and pushed in every direction imaginable, but here I
stand at the end of those three years and I am doing just that, standing. I am beyond thankful for everyone who helped
me get to this point today. These
people include my family, my closest friends and the students and faculty at
the University of Colorado. I
could not have made it through without each of these people, as they all played
such an integral part in my quest for scholarship of the highest degree available
in my field.
I began this morning alone. Quietly going through my morning routine with country music
in the background. This music is comforting and familiar. On a day like today, I find myself
grasping to all that represents my standard routine. Donning the dress that my mom bought me for graduation, I
find myself looking in the mirror in awe of how grown-up I look compared to my
graduation photos from college 5 years ago. I toss necessary items into a bag and out the door I go to
join my family for breakfast.
My mom, dad and my uncle Will have made the journey to
Denver to participate in the graduation festivities. We stop and grab coffee and breakfast at Panera before we
drive across town to my campus- a concrete jungle of a dozen buildings all
focused on the art of healing. Upon arriving on campus, it seems as though time
has stopped and a memory of when I showed my parents around my new campus on
the day of graduation- three years before. Seems like eternity ago.
Today is windy. Flags flapping, hair blowing and tassels
waving as candidates for graduation of various schools within the School of
Medicine make their way to their perspective seats. We sit patiently waiting
for our degrees to be confirmed.
Finally, we make our way across campus to the physical therapy specific
graduation. We line up, all
scrambling to realign windblown hats, tassels and smooth our flustered tresses.
Various pictures are being taken
as we quickly assemble into our predetermined order. Then comes the ceremony! We stride two by two down the isle
simultaneously trying to locate family members while attempting not to
fall.
The ceremony goes by quickly. Our class president, Jennifer Keller delivers an eloquent
speech providing us with lighthearted banter, advice for the future “to be
agents of change” and poignant reflections on the past three years. Amy Nordin-Craft followed with a speech
focused on the ability to thrive in the ambiguity that is patient care, strive
for excellence beyond what is expected and reiterated the notion of being
change agents and leaders within in our field.
| My advisor, Amy |
Then one by one, each of my 62 classmates (largest class in
the history of the program) were called to the stage to receive their diplomas,
undergo the hooding process and take a picture with their academic
advisor. While this was taking
place, Dr. B read background information on each individual, shared their
gratitude and also their hopes/goals for the future. Some have already found jobs. Some just wanted to pass their
board exam to obtain a license.
While others have plans to travel abroad in the immediate future. When
my name was called, I was so focused on not tripping up the stairs and squatting
low enough for Amy to hood me, I forgot to listen to what Dr. B was reading
about me. It turns out I did not
trip and it helps that Amy is at least three inches taller than me. Thankfully,
my dad videoed my shining moment so I can share it with others who were unable
to attend. Following the ceremony,
we had a reception where we were able to walk around and take pictures with
each other. I found it was hard to
say goodbye to such wonderful professors, but thankful for the guidance and
instruction they have provided the past three years. Much like undergrad, its time to move on, spread my wings
and find my own niche in the profession.
| Faculty from my program |
After all the picture taking was completed, we returned our
gowns and hoods and said goodbye to campus one final time. It was strange walking the halls in
light of the diploma I was carrying in my hand. Those study rooms were our homes for the first two years of
our curriculum. The marker boards
were our canvas, in an attempt to memorize the vast amount of information demanded
of us to be a doctor of physical therapy.
This campus represents the beginning, a foundation of knowledge that will
continue to be built upon. In he past eight months, I have been blown away by how
much we have learned in the clinic and how an understanding of the foundational
principles was so necessary in order to begin to build the clinical knowledge.
![]() |
| My lovely parents |
We left campus and went to City Park to celebrate with
friends and family. At one point,
there were 14 graduates at the park with families in tow. It was fun to meet parents and friends of
my classmates; the ones I have heard so much about over the last few
years. We were able to enjoy the
sunshine, laugh about old memories and continue to celebrate the dedication and
hard work we have put in to get to this point. It was at the park where I finally had a moment to appreciate
all that has transpired since I moved to Denver. This not only was a difficult three years due to the academic
rigor of my program, but in part to spending 6 months dealing with
complications from a knee surgery.
I had 4 surgeries in 5 months and was on crutches for just shy of seven total
months. I relied on friends for
transportation, carrying objects, playing nurse/therapist/doctor and for the
emotional support to get through those days. It was in that moment in the park that I realized I have an
incredible bunch of friends that I am forever grateful and excited to also call
my colleagues.
| Jenna, Bailey, Ben, Shane, Betty, Mike, Camille, Me, Becca, Porto, Alissa, Emily, Kelly, Tiffany |
As the sun began to set and the last few friends mingled, we
started saying goodbye. For some
people, I was saying goodbye for the unforeseeable future. For others, it was a mere “see you
soon” as I have plans to meet up with them later this summer. And as I walked
away, I felt so blessed. Blessed
by all the family support I have received in the past three years. Blessed by the hours I have been able
to spend with such enjoyable people. And blessed to have spent three years in
Denver CO. This city has left its
mark on me just like all the others.
And though Portland is calling me back home, I will always be proud to
say I earned my doctorate degree at University of Colorado!
| Dr. Jyndia S Schaible |


2 comments:
Congratulations! You are awesome. Also, do you by any chance know Tracy Rauk? She would have graduated in 2011 I think, but I'm pretty sure she went to U of C for PT...
Not only do I know her, but she is one of my close friends! She and I were in the same class and both recently graduated together! Such a small world!
Post a Comment