Saturday, May 5, 2012

#53 Besaw's!

Living in a city that is known for its delicious food can be dangerous! Especially, when it is on a list to try new places!  Last weekend, Kristen was in town and we decided it would be a good idea to check out another amazing breakfast eatery.  I have wanted to go to Besaw's since I met a man last May in the glow of a late evening that declared it as a serendipitous location to meet the following morning. I did not meet him there the next morning, but lucky for me, almost a year later I enjoyed their eats with my bestie!

First of all, you must know the background on this place!  In 1903, two men dreamt of opening their own beer parlor and gambling hall.  The area in which this quaint little restaurant is located, was populated primarily by longshoremen and loggers (apparently people who enjoy both beer and gambling).  But with the 1920s came prohibition, which forced Mr. Besaw to turn his profitable business into more food and less booze.  After the Prohibition, Besaw was granted the first liquor license in the state of Oregon and there is a beautiful mahogany bar that dates to the beginning- you can almost smell the dust of the days of old.

Kristen and I planned a long bicycle ride after our breakfast, so we decided it would be a good idea to split one savory dish and indulge in a homemade cinnamon roll.  We chose a scramble that did not disappoint!  This little cafe is perfect for a weekend brunch, but one must be prepared to stand in line as part of the experience! Lucky for us, we beat the rush and only had to wait about 20 minutes.  The crowd slowly trickled in and by the time we left, there was a sizable crowd waiting outside.  The food was delicious and the service was outstanding.  I would definitely recommend this place for breakfast (but they also serve lunch and dinner) for anyone who loves good food :)

 






No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...