This past weekend Camille and I moved to the congress park neighborhood. After a short bout of having a mouse-friend named Zoe (she now rests in peace at the bottom of our dumpster), we have settled in quite nicely. The place is adorable! It includes our very own porch, historic wooden floors, high ceilings with white molding and a basement big enough to store all of our gear! This house is perfect for us and living downtown (within a block of Starbucks, Rockbar, a bus stop and this quant little Greek restaurant) feeds my soul!
This week has been insane and next week will be just short of hell, but I have found a few moments just to sit and be still in my room. As I sit on my bed, I look at the floor and cannot help but wonder, who else has lived in this room? Are the holes in the walls a result of hanging pictures of loved ones in frames? The scratches near the door... are they from a kids running throughout the house and pulling their toys behind them? How many memories have been made in this very room? If the walls could speak, would they tell stories of quarrels or lovemaking or both?
This morning I walked to Starbucks and enjoyed some alone time before taking my medical conditions competency. It was so interesting to watch all the different people enjoy their particular cup of joe: there was a group of high school students having a coffee date and discussing their college plans, a business meeting between a Baby Boomer and a young college grad, a man with one of his pant legs stuffed into his sock was reading the Times while nervously twitching his foot, a young mom enjoyed a breath of fresh air as her child slept in the stroller and a couple enjoyed the morning paper while sitting on the comfy couch.
The plan is to stay in this house and neighborhood for the rest of my time in Denver. I think living here will help me feel more at “home” in the city of Denver. Though I have always known I prefer living in the city, this year has helped me realize I am not a “burbs” kind of girl. It has been hard to live so far from everything I value and consider necessary to life at age 25; so it just feels right to be living in this wonderful little neighborhood!
No comments:
Post a Comment