I will be the first one to admit, the last couple of weeks (ok, months) have been stressful. Generally speaking, I feel as though I have always been one that handles stress with relative ease. Well, that theory is now out the window! Stress brings out a side of me that I do not like. I get grumpy, short with people I love and frown more than I smile.
This week has been rough… and its only Tuesday! Yesterday I had one of the most frustrating phone conversations to date. After discussing with a friend why this particular phone call left me frustrated and angry, I realize that one of my biggest pet peeves (maybe the biggest of them all) is when the person on the other line is not listening to what you have to say—especially when they were requesting your advice! I know, we are all guilty of doing this from time to time, but for whatever reason, this phone call has left me with an ugly taste in my mouth.
Then today, I found myself in another foul mood. This time, because I felt the class, and assignment that resulted from the class, were pointless and a waste of time (time that could be used in numerous productive ways).
It is out of the ordinary for me to be in a bad mood. I am usually overly in control of my emotions to the point where I sometimes forget that I should be stressed out. But, since we have already established that I have been just short of a bitch to most people I know… its time to play the special music that comes on right before Danny tells Michelle the moral to the story (Full House anyone?!?)
Maybe I need to better manage my expectations. Now, I am all for having high expectations, but what happens when they are set too high? Well, I can tell you! I end up feeling let down.
Let down by my friends, school and worse, let down by myself!
So, for the rest of the week, I am going to work hard to set realistic expectations for myself. And allow my death grip on life to ease up a little. With any luck, I will become more pleasant to be around J
2 comments:
Jyndia! I feel the exact same way sometimes! This past year has been an extremely stressful one for me too and I find that I become overly annoyed with things that I normally don't let bother me... For me it has come down to the fact that I need to make sure that I am getting enough rest and exercise and make sure that I am taking care of myself. Then, no matter how stressful it gets, I find that I love those around me more and that I myself am easier to be around. You are correct that high expectations are good, but they should be realistic too. If it makes you feel any better, I just wanted to tell you how GREAT I think that you are. You were always such a good friend and example to me and I only have fond memories of you. I'm sure all who know you would say the exact same thing. Oh - and here's a quote that I really like that I heard again the other day, 'Everything will be okay in the end. If its not okay, then its not the end.'
You're great. Hope things get better. :)
Natalie
Jyndia! This is so true! I often find myself stressed about things, and praying for peace...but then if the peace doesn't come in the way I expect it to I completely miss it and stay stuck. Thanks for your words. And no matter how grumpy you may think you are, you are the most consistently optimistic and hopeful person I know...for real! Your advice means more to me than anything...mostly because I know it stems from your own experience and your love for me. You are amazing! :)
Post a Comment