Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Cortisol-you are not my friend!

In light of a massive exam I have tomorrow on the endocrine system, I thought I would enlighten you on a little something I have learned:

Stress causes an increase in cortisol levels which have all kinds of adverse effects that could render my life difficult!  Allow me to explain:

The secretion of this steroid hormone is stimulated by the anterior pituitary in the form of ACTH which acts on the zona fasciculata to produce cortisol.  Normal levels of cortisol stimulate gluconeogenesis (production of glucose from amino acids and FFA- to be used for energy), inhibit glucose utilization- which raises blood glucose levels.  Cortisol also promotes lipolysis (break down of fat) and release of FFA into the blood.  It also has an anti-inflammatory affect and thus suppresses the immune system.

For those that are not science minded, I will break it down:

Stress causes high levels of cortisol which can have unfortunate consequences!  Glucose is needed for metabolism and critical for your brain to function.  Thus, the inhibition of glucose utilization is not helpful!  Prolonged high glucose levels can lead to decreased glucose tolerance which SUCKS- unless you want to become a diabetic!  And a suppressed immune system is only helpful if you have recently undergone an organ transplant... which I have not done so in recent past!

What this all means is our professors should be more aware of the adverse effects of cortisol and eliminate 50% of our workload for the month of April.  Yes, thats a great idea! :)

Until next time!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...