Since having surgery last Tuesday, it has been nearly impossible to focus on anything. In the days following, I tried to study for the comprehensive test we had on the elbow for ortho and failed miserably (but somehow passed the exam). The past two days, I have been trying to study for this massive neuro-science exam we have on Monday and it is taking everything in me to focus and refocus, as all I can think about are other things. My mind wanders about five minutes into studying and the process of refocusing starts all over again. In the middle of this mess of a cycle, I found what I really needed was a little dose of perspective.
25 months from now, I will (hopefully) be graduating from this program and have a doctorate degree which will allow me to practice physical therapy. It will allow me the opportunity to reduce pain in the lives of hundreds of people over the course of my lifetime. With this degree I will be able to travel anywhere in the world and use my clinical skills to help people. This degree will grant me the life I have always wanted: enough money to be secure, a flexible schedule that will allow me to raise a family and a career helping people move functionally throughout their daily lives.
But right now, all I can think about is this neuro-science exam that covers everything from basic neurological science information to the complicated brainstem and spinal cord. Not to mention cranial nerves, their nuclei and tracts and all the possible lesions and syndromes that come with damage to the above mentioned structures. HOW THE HELL WILL I REMEMBER ALL OF THIS INFORTMATION?!!
When I woke up today, the only thing that I wanted was to go to a coffee shop, sip a good cup of joe and watch other people live their lives. I felt like my soul was screaming inside of me because these past few weeks I have felt incredibly trapped. Trapped in mounds and mounds of homework and ambiguous group projects. I have felt as though our professors have unrealistic expectations of what we can realistically produce within the time allotted by one 24-hour day. What’s worse, it seems as though each day begins with me more tired and worn out than the day before. So how do I maintain perspective?
Well, at the present moment, I am going to eat a Girl Scout cookie and attempt to refocus again J Suggestions on maintaining perspective are welcomed and readily accepted!
| My Saturday |
2 comments:
Jyndia,
I feel your pain (well, some of it). Good read; I think it captures the thoughts of most everyone in our class. One month!
Jyn! I am praying that you are getting some rest and restoration in the next few weeks! God is good and will provide it...usually right in the nick of time before we go completely insane! He has impeccable timing that way :)
P.S. I love that you have (had) daffodils on your desk! Daffodils make everything a bit happier!
P.P.S. Love the new blog aesthetics ;)
Post a Comment