Wednesday, March 3, 2010

cHaNgE

Tonight I was listening to my "oldies mix" on my iPod, which consists of songs from when I was in Jr High School. So, I was rocking along to "Blue" by Eiffel 65, "Truly Madly Deeply" by Savage Garden and "Barbie Girl" by Aqua when a Barenaked Ladies song came on and I have not been able to stop thinking about the lyrics:

"We've got these chains that hang around our necks,
people want to strangle us with them before we take our first breath.
Afraid of change, afraid of staying the same,
when temptation calls, we just look away..."

Our generation has been defined by "those seek change". We strive to make a difference and if we are lucky, change the world! I remember setting out after graduation from Concordia University (nearly three years ago) wanting to change the world! I remember thinking I could change the HIV/AIDS epidemic in Africa if I just put my mind to it! But, then reality came crashing down... Thoughts of

...i am just one person

...the world is too big

...my voice cannot be heard, for i am too young

seemed to make my declaration impossible! And after those wild dreams were crushed, I stopped pursuing change. I stopped running after the dream, stopped pushing the envelope.

So, it is my goal, after hearing these lyrics tonight, not to turn my head when change comes my way! I am entering a profession that is progressively seeking change in a healthcare system that is headed for self-destruction. I can be the face of change I once believed in. And maybe I can convince a few to follow....


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear ya on this post! It's overwhelming. It's such a BIG world and it seems like it's always uncovering more disappointment than successes...difficult to be optimistic. HOWEVER! You have a point--lets use our professions--our God-given gifts to change the world a little bit :) Do you remember this conversation in HUM 351, towards the end...how are you going to change the world? And we brought it back to the business majors, the nursing majors, the education majors, etc. We can all make a difference in very different ways! Don't forget Wyneken's challenge too..."In ten years, contact me and tell me how you've changed the world." I still plan on doing that, and so should you! Love you!

carrie said...

This is so true. And unfortunately, losing some part of our passion and belief that we can do something to change the world is kind of inevitable for a lot of us...especially after coming from Concordia, with all its motivating and encouraging teachers! But I love Becca's point, we can all use our own specific gifts to "tear off a corner of the darkness" (to quote Bono). I had to read this book for class called "The Fabric of Faithfulness" by Steven Garber. You should check it out...it's all about fidning the intersection between the so-called "sacred" and "secular" worlds and seeing that all truth is God truth, and that all we do can be glorifying to him, and can change the world! It was so beneficial in teaching me how match up my belief and my behavior, and how to build a sustainable worldview...one that will hold up throughout my entire life and provide a distinct lens through which I see the world...mine, or course, centers around passion for helping others. Does that make sense? I hope so! And I love you a lot. And I need to call you because I miss you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...