On the morning of an all-encompassing comprehensive exam of the shoulder, I decided to come to this quant little coffee shop to study. And while sitting here, attempting to study, I realize that I have a love-hate relationship with studying at coffee shops. Allow me to explain:
While I love the atmosphere a coffee shop offers, I find myself longing to be sitting in the comfy chairs, enjoying a cup of joe and chatting with an old friend. I find myself eavesdropping on conversations only to live vicariously through their conversations.
“I cannot believe he did that to her!!”
“I know! Can you believe it?!”
I find myself taking the side of the betrayed friend who is not here to tell her side of the story. I use my deductive reasoning skills (skills I will without a doubt need this afternoon when I take my exam) and piece together the sad tale of a woman whose husband left her for her best friend. An all too often told story in America today….
Then across the room from me, I can hear a young man tell his story of backpacking through Eastern Europe. As he talks about walking across the Saint Charles Bridge in Prague, I find myself transported back to last summer when I walked across that very same bridge. Suddenly, I feel like I am back in Prague and the endless chatter all around me is actually masses of people chattering in a dozen languages as they remark of the beauty the city of Prague beholds.
Less I digress!
Today, the coffee shop I have chosen is a perfect mix of gossip and respite for my soul. Lately, school has taken my life, chewed it up and spit it back out- only for me to be too exhausted to put it back together. Its been a while since I have felt as fatigued and worn down as I do this week.
No comments:
Post a Comment