I am annoyed that our society puts so much effort into displaying how well things are going that we feel compelled to hide when things are not going so well. We feel this anonymous pressure that the aspects of our life must convey how perfect our lives are... all the time. That our lives must be exact representations of our pinterest boards. Even amongst my blogging friends, I have felt this pressure to perfectly portray my life through my blog.
The reality is, not one single person is perfect. Not me, not my pastor, not hollywood stars. Perfection is unattainable and the longer we spend trying to be perfect, the more time we end up wasting. All too often we think "as soon as I get that raise" or "as soon as I meet my future spouse" or "as soon as I land my dream job" things will be great. I will finally feel satisfied. I will finally feel complete. I will finally feel like I have "made it".
The truth is, we will always be left feeling incomplete, lonely, not good enough, etc.
This is post is not meant to be "preachy", but the undertones are not so subtle, I know. The past few weeks I have been in conversations with close friends who are striving to attain it all. Burnt-out and completely frustrated that they are not making six-figures or that they are still renting. And this general feeling of being unsatisfied is playing its tune loud and clear.
And the only advise I feel that I can offer is... stop trying to be perfect.
Life sucks sometimes. Sometimes it even sucks a lot. Jobs are never guaranteed (meaning cash flow is also not guaranteed). Loved ones pass away, most often long before their time. So if you are constantly waiting for that next raise, your spouse to fulfill you or that house with the white picket fence, you will be disappointed.
So, in the spirit of full disclosure of my imperfections, here are some ways I am not so perfect:
-I can be incredibly inpatient. When I want something, I want it yesterday
-I am highly opinionated
-I am a type A planner until the very end. This interferes with my desire to be spontaneous
-I am a people pleaser
-I use sarcasm when I am frustrated rather than confront the situation like an adult
Hope this post presents itself as food for thought. A chance to take a look at ways you are trying to be perfect in unobtainable ways.
![]() |
| So many wishes :) |

No comments:
Post a Comment