Thursday, January 10, 2013

If I was honest...

Link
One of my goals this year is to make attending church on Sunday nights a priority. This past fall was busy. There were several weekends spent in Seattle or traveling that I was unable to get back for church. There was this and there was that... you get the idea. But I learned quickly how important it is for me to be in community with other believers. 

This past weekend, our pastor started a new series called "God has a name". We are using two verses for the entire series (8 weeks). Exodus 34:6-7.  Essentially, the next 7 weeks will be dissecting God's character, word by word, to truly understand who God is. Near the end of the sermon John Mark (our pastor) said something I will never forget. In reference to knowing/understanding who God is: 

JM:"how many people in this room have read the entirety of the Bible?"
(few hands went up) 
JM: "Excerpts?" 
(a majority of hands went up). 
JM: "How can someone follow/devote their entire life to someone and not have read their book?" Bamm!

If I were honest, I would confess I have NOT read the Bible in its entirety. Nor even the majority of it. I spent most of my early days as a believer learning about who Jesus is (reading gospels) and then most of my days thereafter reading/studying Paul's letters. If I were honest, I could not describe the character of God. If I were honest, I would have a hard time describing Jesus' character too.

So, I took it on as my personal mission- read the Bible in a year. Our church has some suggested reading plans, so I snagged one after church and started reading today (link here if you are interested). I like this particular plan because you read 2 chapters from the OT (starting in Gen), 1 chapter from the NT (starting in Matthew) and 1 Psalm and 1 Proverb a day. I am 10 days behind so I read the requirements for days 1-5.  

I was prepared to be board (its the Old Testament people!), but was really encouraged how enjoyable it was reading through the first 10 chapters.  Also in reading the NT passages, I felt like I was better able to connect the two; instead of separating them like the majority of Christians do. I am going to do my best to be in the Word every day, but also give myself grace for the days when I fail to do so. 

Cheers to adding another goal to my list!

4 comments:

Taylor Morgan said...

what a great goal! so funny, just this morning I was studying about Christ's character. To become like Christ we have to know him and God and their character. One thing I really know about God is that he has a good sense of humor, I have seen it a lot in my life and it always makes me smile :)

love from NYC,

Taylor
taylormorgandesign.blogspot.com

Shop Taylor Morgan, Free Shipping

Taylor Morgan said...

what a great goal! so funny, just this morning I was studying about Christ's character. To become like Christ we have to know him and God and their character. One thing I really know about God is that he has a good sense of humor, I have seen it a lot in my life and it always makes me smile :)

love from NYC,

Taylor
taylormorgandesign.blogspot.com

Shop Taylor Morgan, Free Shipping

Jillian Carreira said...

A plan is an excellent way to accomplish reading the bible. If someone told me what parts to read and when message it would relate to then I could see myself becoming more active in reading the bible.
I am following you now and would love for you to follow along.
Jillian
http://puzzlemecomplete.blogspot.com/2013/01/she-called-her-gan.html

Linny said...

What a great goal and just a great point. Sometimes its hard to understand/stay motivated in some parts of the bible but since your church is doing it together, that will be a great support system! Have a great week!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...