Thursday, May 3, 2012

#31 My first sushi experience!

I have lived in the Pacific Northwest for a total of 5ish years and have never had sushi! (Gasp!) I am not a huge fan of fish or seafood, so the idea of eating raw fish never quite appealed to me. Despite my friends loving this little delicacy, I have never taken part in the act of eating the little swimming animals.  Now, it is important to know, I have always been fascinated by the food, but never had the guts to try it.  Until, I decided to put it on my list!

Kristen came to Portland last weekend and since she frequently enjoys this little treat, she seemed like the perfect friend to introduce me to its finer side.  We used yelp.com to point us in the direction of a good eatery, but settled on Yama, a quant little restaurant that her friend recommended. And I have to say it was the perfect place for my first sushi experience!

First of all, the menu was full of pictures which was helpful for me!  I let Kristen do the ordering and we ended up trying four different types (of which I cannot remember the names), Asian Pear Fusion Sake and edamame!

I loved the sake! That was a given :)  Also, I loved that the server filled it to the very top! The sushi was interesting! At first I didnt know what to do with it.  Kristen showed me how to make my "dip".  The ginger, wasabi, soy sauce combo was fantastic! The first bite was all about figuring out what to do with all the flavors.  The raw fish wasnt as strange as i thought it would be.  There was still the texture that was a little strange, but the flavor was excellent!  They were all great!  And of course, the conversation as we indulged was much needed and much appreciated!  I will continue to explore the world of sushi and welcome any suggestions!





1 comment:

Stephen said...

My only suggestion might involve care with wasabi...

I first discovered it about 6 months ago and thought, how hot can it be? Really, I can just about mainline Louisiana hot sauce... I treat cayenne pepper like sugar... so I put a big lump of wasabi on one finger and stuck it in my mouth - and then spent a peaceful moment feeling like my eyes were being washed with paint thinners and wondering if the top of my head was about to unscrew and float away!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...