This thought came to me when my dad and I were at the Bronco's game on Sunday. I am still wearing the immobilizer on my knee so it is hard to get anywhere quietly (or without a lot of stares). Though I am getting used to this, it is one of the reasons why I am looking forward to being out of this brace and walking normally again. Before I diverge too quickly, I have realized, life is all about how one relates to another.
Since my surgery, I have heard countless stories about other people's experience with knee injuries (or various other injuries: feet, toe, ankle, hip, broken arm etc). What these people do not realize... I am not that interested in their experience on crutches, their horror story of falling down the stairs with crutches, or the drunken night that lead to them breaking their pinkie toe. But then it occurred to me, at the end of the day, everyone is just trying to relate.
These thoughts of relating got me thinking about how I relate to my friends. I have noticed there are certain friends that I look to for advice about specific things because I know they have experienced something similar and therefore can relate. Other stories, are reserved for other friends. It is interesting to stop and think about the different roles that different friends play in my life. I appreciate this because it allows me to share my life without feeling like I am overburdening my friends.
It also seems to hold true that each of us are influenced by those whom we chose to associate with. I have noticed this to be true by the classmates I have become the best friends with as well as the mentors who have influenced me the most.
It would also seem to make sense that this is why friends move in and out of our lives. In high school, you are friends with a group of people who you play sports with, have classes with or live near. In college, very few of those friends remain in your life because you have shortened the list of commonalities you once shared. After college, you begin life in the real world (whatever that may look like) and you realize you have very little in common with the college friends that you used to club with on the weekends. In grad school, you become so busy, you rely on your closest friends to maintain relationships. AND, if you have made it this far in life and you are still friends with people from high school/college, they are true friends and will be around for the rest of your life.
So, when I hear another person ask me if I tore my ACL and then proceed to tell me how they tore theirs, I will just remember everyone is longing to relate and I should not impede the process. Here are a few recent pictures of some of my oldest friends who still know me better than any other person! Love you girls!
| Ali girl |
| Kristen Erica |
| My oldest college friend- Anna |
No comments:
Post a Comment