The past few days, I have been reading Searching for God Knows What, and it has been painfully clear that I have a problem with balance. Meaning, I have a problem with balancing my default setting of "analytical and realistic" mode and demonstrating that of "faith like a child". This is not a new realization and in fact has been a factor in my relationship with God all my life.
In neuroscience, we learn about the left and right sides of the brain. The left side being responsible for language, processing language, communication etc. The right side, is responsible for the more creative and artistic aspects of ones personality. Though I clearly operate almost exclusively from the left side of my brain, I like to imagine that it is possible for me to use the right side. And this is where my problem with balance occurs.
My profession requires me to balance the outputs of both sides of my brain. I am required to sift, sort and organize information a patient gives me in a very systematic and analytical way in order to effectively treat a complex disorder or diagnosis. Conversely, I need to be able to appropriately identify a patient's perception of their diagnosis and their own psychosocial approach to dealing with their presentation. If I do not achieve a balance with my patients, it is likely they will not receive the best possible care I can provide them.
Then why, if I CAN do this affectively with patients, do I have such a hard time doing it in my own life? Why is it that much harder to approach my faith and relationship with God from a balanced (or even somewhat balanced) perspective?


No comments:
Post a Comment