Saturday, May 18, 2013

#12 Participating in a healthcare fundraising walk (Heart Walk 2013)

Its been on my list of things to do forever and I finally was able to take advantage of one of the healthcare fundraising events held in Portland. Within the clinic I work is the Cardiac Rehab clinic that works closely with survivors of heart disease. The leaders of this clinic are among two of the most passionate people I know and truly change people's lives!  I was fortunate enough to join them today in their efforts to raise money for the American Heart Association and the fight to end heart disease.  It was announced today that the walk raised $560,942.00 and OHSU Cardiac All-Stars raised the second most as a team (>$13,560). A vey impressive group to be a part of, in my opinion!


The walk itself was a 5K loop around the city of Portland crossing two of my favorite bridges.  It was really cool to see so many people walking today despite not optimal weather. I was humbled several times when I would be walking next to someone who either lost a loved one to heart disease or was fighting their way back after having a quad bypass surgery. I talked to two ladies who had lost ~175 pounds each and they were on their way to breaking the 300lb mark. Truly inspiring stories all around me. It was a special walk for me as well because my dad had a quad bypass surgery just over a year ago.


Some quick facts about Heart Disease and its impact on our country:

  • 1 and every 4 deaths per year is a result of heart disease
  • Heart disease is the leading cause of death and both men and WOMEN in the US
  • Coronary heart disease costs the US >$108 Billion each year
We also got to meet Jared from Subway's compaign against heart disease. Several of the major hospitals in Portland were present at the Start/Finish line with information, opportunities have your blood pressure read and handing out water. Overall, it was a great experience and I was very fortunate to be a part of such a compassionate group of people. Diabetes, Obesity and Hypertension are three of the major risks for acquiring heart disease and are running rampant in our country. Find a way to get involved in the fight; even if it just involves becoming educated to the signs and symptoms of heart attack/stroke.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...