Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Study with Purpose

This week has been pretty intense and its only Wednesday.  On Monday, I was sitting in on a conference for one of my severely injured patients.  This meeting was packed with emotions with tears sitting on the cusp of everyone's eyes.  This girl's parents were trying so desperately to understand their daughter's diagnosis.  Staring at the doctor like he was speaking French in an Italian accent.  MRI and CT scans up on the screen- a mixed jumble of grays.  And then there was one point during the meeting I felt like I got slapped in the face...

The past two and a half years since I started PT school I have been studying hundreds of conditions, diagnoses and various movement dysfunctions.  And not once during all that studying did it occur to me that I was studying my future patients.  I have been studying, slaving away hours of my time, losing sleep over exams, comps and practicals and it never occurred to me that I was studying so that one day I could recall this information and explain to a parent why their child has primal reflexes instead of purposeful movements.  Like I said, hit in the face.

Overall I am loving Craig and absolutely loving working with my patients.  Brain injury is a whole different world and I am slowly realizing I can impact that world- quite significantly actually.  It is my hope as I move forward that I would continue to see the human behind those eyes that do not seem to track what I am saying.  I hope that I continue to empathize with my patients and that I do not lose the drive to change these people's lives.  And in brain injury- that is almost an understatement.  These people will be forever changed by a moment in time... And it is my job to assist in putting the pieces back together after the wreckage.

I am going to continue to blog on Wednesdays about my experience at Craig- feel free to check in when you've got time :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of updating on clinicals on wed. I might have to copy you on that

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...