After hour 2.75, a girl walks and sits beside me at the high-rise bar. She opens her bag (yellow like mine) and pulls out a computer- exactly like mine (not uncommon as I have the best computer known to man). Then, she pulls out an Abnormal Psychology text book and leaves to order her drink. She returns, with a grande passion team lemonade and a chocolate chip cookie. She begins to study...
I steal glances. She is wearing a tank top that I own (only I own it in black) and wearing shoes that I also own. She has green headphones- nearly the same shade as mine. She pulls out her phone- it is my phone, only black instead of purple.
It is now nearly an hour since my "almost friend" has sat down and I am more than intrigued. Could we be friends? Clearly we have the same style of material possessions and for the goodness that comes from green straws (Starbucks). She is studying a subject that I have an interest in and typing madly away on her computer- something I tend to do as well. So, instead of taking out my headphones and engaging in a conversation, I decide to make up her life story... one of my favorite things to do.
She is in her second year of graduate school- trying to find her place in the vast field of psychology. She is typing a case study from one of her most recent patients. He suffered a brain injury and is now at Craig Hospital. As she flips mindlessly through the pages of her text book, she realizes this is one of those cases that could be the gateway to her career... solidify a residency, land the job, and end the madness of grad school. She is awaiting a call/text from her boyfriend- but he doesnt call- forcing her to continue to work on her case study. Type, type, type. One more glance at her phone indicates its time to depart- packing her things in a rush and walking speedily to the parking lot...
I sit in wonder if we could be friends? Maybe, we will cross each other's paths again- maybe at this high-rise bar at this Starbucks. Maybe at Craig this fall? Until then, she will remain my "almost" friend.
No comments:
Post a Comment