Monday, July 18, 2011

Farewell to my friends...


"It is an ancient need to be told stories, but the story, needs a great storyteller"  ~ Alan Rickman

I have a confession... prior to seeing the last film of Harry Potter: The Deathly Hallows (Part2), I could not remember how the story ended.  How can you not remember!?!?  Here is my sore bit of an excuse.  The book came out in July of 2007- I had just graduated from undergrad, was living the absolute dream in Portland and planning madly for the next phase of my life- New York.  I read the book in about three days and in the craziness- I forgot the details.  Details!

The famous book series has finally come to a close.  The series that has taken the WORLD captive and until now, held them completely ransom.  The story of a wee-little boy who, against all odds, saved the world.  The "magical world" of course.  But isnt that the beauty?  That the world can be saved by someone who is wholly underestimated?

The quote above is an excerpt from a letter written by Alan Rickman (the actor who played Snape) to JK Rowling.  The statement is simple, yet profound.  In the day of computers, wii, playstation, etc., I often wonder if children still learn to read?  Or more, do they still enjoy reading?  We have proof that storytelling is an ancient ritual; but only stories that are crafted in the most unexplainable way are remembered.

When I think back to my childhood, I remember how hard it was to learn how to read and spell.  Nevertheless, my parents always emphasized the importance of language and communication.  My dad would sit int he hallway between my room and my brother's (on a stool that was merely 8 inches off the ground) and read stories to us before bed.  I have one particular memory of him reading Where the Red Fern Grows and while he read the final chapters, I cried silently from my room.  The story had come to life and was a part of me.

That is what JK Rowling has done with the Harry Potter series.  She has weaved a phenomenal story into the lives of millions of children (and equally as many adults).  She has threaded Ron, Harry and Hermione into the daily happenings of children that grew up simultaneously with them- to the point where they identify with each character in way similar to that of a friend.  The mark of a great story- but of an even greater story teller.

And so, we all bid farewell to our friends.  We all greave in ways that are unique to the relationship we had with the characters of this story.  It is my hope that this is one of those stories that continues to inspire generations to come... to read.  to write.  and to tell stories.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...