Wednesday, April 20, 2011

12 years ago...

Columbine Memorial
Today is one of those days where I cannot help but be reflective. For today is April 20th... and the 12th anniversary of the shooting at Columbine High School. Being that Littleton is only a few miles from Denver, it seems like an especially reflective day.

Now, I am not one that often stands on a soapbox about any one thing or another, but today I got to thinking about how much individual actions and decisions affect others. There were 13 families that lost someone on this day 12 years ago and countless other families that encountered injuries (physically and emotionally). One of my classmates' brother survived that fateful day and I cannot imagine her family's gratitude on a day like today.

I was in eight grade when the shooting happened and miles and a world away from Columbine. Growing up in small town USA, I did not really understand the impact this event would have for the years to come. And now, 12 years later, I feel like we (as a nation) have lost some of what it means to be survivors of tragedy.

In recent years, we have been reminded of what it feels like to have your freedom, life and way of life under-attack (9/11), but do we really get it? We have absolutely no idea what it is like to not know if today is the day you will stumble upon a car-bomb on the way to work. We do not have to live in fear that while walking to school, open gun fire could happen at any minute. We are blessed to not live in constant fear.

My words are neither many nor elegant tonight. I simply wanted to remember those whom sacrifice so much for my freedom and comfortable way of life. This is more a reminder of how incredibly blessed I am and how much I take my freedom for granted. My prayer is this... that I would never forget days like today and that I would always remember the weight of my decisions and actions. God bless the USA.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4955226n

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...