Tuesday, March 5, 2013

These are my people

If you follow me on facebook, you know I am back in Denver (where I went to graduate school) for the week. The past four days have been nothing short of perfect. I have gotten to catch up with some of my best friends, eat delicious meals  engorge myself in copious amounts of food and drink, catch up on some sleep and get ready for my 4 day conference tomorrow. It has been great to be back in Denver, but I am realizing now, more than ever, I made the right decision in moving back to Portland.

Denver was never home to me. That being said, I have some fantastic memories with some of my lifelong friends here in this city. Several times throughout graduate school, I had to sequester the longing to return to Portland, as it was not productive. I thankful for my education and truly believe I received the best at University of Colorado, but I knew my time in Denver was going to come to an end following graduation last May.

The past few days I have enjoyed several cups of joe across from those same people I used to spend countless hours studying with until our eyes blurred, brains were maxed out and felt like the life was sucked out of us. These people were my lifelines when we got our asses kicked for three years by a doctorate degree.  These people form the foundation of my knowledge of physical therapy management. We share the same skill set, same theories on practice and same bias of our professors (now colleagues).  It is these people whom I can call at any hour with questions and they will talk out what they might do if in my situation.

It is good to be back. It is good to laugh so hard that I pee my pants. It is good to eat until I cannot take another bite. It is good because I am in some of the best company I could ask for. It is good to know I have friends who I will always have something in common with- for we are therapists. We come from the same DNA of compassion, empathy, the art of healing and knowledge of the incredibly complex human body. We share a desire to help humanity; despite the ever imperfect healthcare system. We love each other because we have been through it all together. These are my people...
Last days of summer 2011
Graduation Week 2012
White Trash Bash up close
White Trash Bash 2011
Flag football League Champs
Stampeed Country Bar- Tradition

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...