What makes one an adult? Is it when we turn 18 and go away to college? Some might make a compelling argument that those first days "on our own" are the first steps into adulthood. Or, is it at 21 when we are legally able to drink? Some could say that brings a fair amount of responsibility and thus makes us even more like adults. Or, is it when we get our first job, get married or buy our first home or car? In essence, these are all small steps that track the transformation from teenage years to adulthood. For me, it wasn't moving to Portland to go to college, graduating from said college, moving to NYC or starting graduate school. Adulthood was finally donned on Friday when I bought my first piece of real art!
 |
| Brooklyn Bridge at Sunset |
Pardon the crappy photo, but I was so excited to write this blog, I had to settle for a photo from my phone. Since moving into the studio, its been fun to incorporate things that are all "mine" and decorate exactly the way I want. Though a lot of my life is still in transition (I will move again in five months), its been fun to see what things I am most passionate about- as those are the things that are represented on my walls. As I look around, there are photos of places I have travelled, friends that are both near and far and books- lots of books that have challenged me at different points in my life. Arguably, these are all moments of my transition into adulthood. Looking around, I realize how many memories have been made along the way and how many more have yet to be made!
How have you transitioned into adulthood? What moments or memories stand out to you as part of the transition?
1 comment:
I love that you have a blog post dedicated to "When does one truly become an adult?" because ever since my class discussed it in Sociology I always think about it. I jokingly say I will truly enter adulthood when I STOP having acne! teeheehee. For reals though I don't think I have reached "adulthood" yet, but I'll let you know when I do :)I have a feeling it won't happen until I move away from Pfeifer Camp and am not living in a cabin with 10 little campers.
Post a Comment