Friday, November 8, 2013

Strength Training

Subscribing to a lifting program has always been difficult for me to do. Not sure why, but I find myself really not that interested in lifting. Maybe because I associate lifting with big, bulky muscles that make it so I cannot get my jeans past my thighs or my shirts get stuck on my biceps. But what I think it really comes down to is I have never stuck with a lifting program long enough to see results. And if you never see results, why keep trying?

Being a physical therapist, I am the first one to know the benefits of strength training. Here are a couple that come to mind:

  • Improved metabolic rate; improve and increase efficiency of the body's ability to burn calories 
  • Improved Bone Density-prevention of bone loss. Increasingly more important for women as we age
  • Sharpen focus and boosted stamina 
  • Improved glucose control

This month I am committing to a strength program targeting specific muscle groups. Arms, back, core and legs. I have to admit, this is going to be a challenge. I know I am going to need to start lifting at work to get each program in and completed. I am also working on a plank challenge and that is where I am seeing the most progress.

Overall, it's been a good first week! I feel like I have more energy and I actually feel like my pants are fitting better :)

Cheers to the end of week 1! Don't forget to follow me on twitter if you're interested in a more daily update! @jyndiaschaible

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...